14 Posts
7 Users
2 Likes
(@deborahwatersiectskin-com)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Adrenal Fatigue: Is It Real?

Medically Reviewed by Carol DerSarkissian, MD on February 07, 2021

Do you feel tired and worn out all the time, even though you're getting plenty of sleep? Do you crave salty foods? Maybe you've been to several doctors and none of them can say what's wrong with you.

If you see a naturopathic (a system of alternative medicine based on the theory that diseases can be successfully treated or prevented without the use of drugs, by techniques such as control of diet, exercise, and massage) or a complementary (non-mainstream) medicine doctor, they might say that you have adrenal fatigue. Yet most traditional doctors say this condition isn’t real.

What Is It?

The term "adrenal fatigue" was coined in 1998 by James Wilson, PhD, a naturopath and expert in alternative medicine. He describes it as a "group of related signs and symptoms (a syndrome) that results when the adrenal glands function below the necessary level." He says it’s usually associated with intense stress and often follows chronic infections like bronchitis, flu, or pneumonia.

Wilson says people with it may not have any physical signs of illness but still may feel tired, "gray," and have fatigue that doesn’t get better with sleep. They also crave salty snacks.

The Theory Behind It

Your body's immune system responds by revving up when you’re under stress. Your adrenal glands, which are small organs above your kidneys, respond to stress by releasing hormones like cortisol and adrenaline. These hormones are part of your "fight or flight" response. They increase your blood pressure and your heart rate.  

According to the theory, if you have long-term stress (like the death of a family member or a serious illness), your adrenal glands burn out from prolonged production of cortisol. So adrenal fatigue sets in.

There’s no approved test for adrenal fatigue. Blood tests can't detect a small drop in adrenal production.

The suggested treatments for healthy adrenal function are a diet low in sugar, caffeine, and junk food, and “targeted nutritional supplementation” that includes vitamins and minerals

Vitamins B5, B6, and B12

Is It a Myth?

There’s no science to back it up. The Endocrine Society, the world's largest organization of endocrinologists (people who research and treat patients with diseases related to glands and hormones), flatly says that adrenal fatigue is not a real disease. And it says the symptoms of adrenal fatigue are so general, they can apply to many diseases or conditions (depression, sleep apnea, fibromyalgia, hypothyroidism, or many other conditions) or stem from everyday life.

And the society says some of the treatments can be dangerous. Improving your diet will probably make you feel better, no matter what ailment you have, but taking unidentified supplements to help your body produce extra cortisol if you don't need them may cause your adrenal glands to stop working, it warns.

What Else Could It Be?

Symptoms such as being tired, lacking energy, and sleeping all day long could be signs of depression, sleep apnea, fibromyalgia, or any number of diseases.

Unlike adrenal fatigue, this is a recognized disease that can be diagnosed. There are two forms of this condition, and both are caused by damage or problems with your adrenal glands that result in them not making enough of the hormone cortisol.

Symptoms of both forms include chronic fatigue, loss of appetite, muscle weakness, weight loss, and stomach pain. You might also have nausea, vomiting, low blood pressure, diarrhea, depression, or darkening of the skin.

Adrenal insufficiency is diagnosed with a blood test that checks to see if your cortisol levels are too low. If you have it, you’ll need to take a hormone replacement.

(@delaneyhiggonsiectskin-com)

I think it definitely makes sense that hormonal problems like this can arise from prolonged periods of stress, especially when accompanied with a recent infection like this article suggests is the cause for adrenal fatigue. It's a shame more doctors don't seem to take the idea of this more seriously, especially as it seems there's no way to test to prove it, but I definitely agree that blindly guessing at supplements to try and help with it is probably not the best idea. I wonder if a better form of treatment would just be therapy and time taken from your normal schedule to rest. It would seem to me taking the stress off your adrenal gland like this would have to help, but that's just an idea.

ReplyQuote
Member Admin
Topic starter  

The adrenal glands release 50 different hormones that influence almost every function of your body such as energy levels, mental-sharpness, and stress levels.

Cortisol increases when the person is under extreme stress for long periods of time. This can lead to symptoms mentioned in the article. Cortisol helps regulate metabolism and helps your body respond to stressors that people have everyday. Too much is not good for the body as the adrenal glands release cortisol. 

ReplyQuote
(@marlimartiniectskin-com)

I think adrenal fatigue can be a real thing. I think it is also possible that it could be a sign or signal that Adrenal insufficiency is approaching. I have definitely felt like I could've had adrenal fatigue after going through a traumatic death in my family. I had all the symptoms. 

It seems to be to be a real thing, it is just unfortunate that some doctors do not think it is. There should be tests available and information available for people who may have this.

ReplyQuote
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Marli,

I too have had a traumatic death and I was so stressed I could not function. I was extremely tired constantly and eating was almost none except for bread. I sat in the house for days crying and sleep was sparse. This went on for at least 8 months. It is unfortunate that it is not more recognized. We as patients have to be proactive in asking questions and persistent with Dr's to ensure we may get the correct answers

ReplyQuote
(@gabriellemrasiectskin-com)

This is very interesting I have never heard of it but reading I actually just read everything I feel in my body everyday. I get hours upon hours of sleep and I will be extremely tired, I hate sweets I only crave like burgers or fries. Some days I do just feel like i'm in a fog, its not everyday but I am a very high stress person especially when I have things expected of me like school and work I feel like I am obligated to work myself to death to the point of just exhaustion. Then I will feel that fatigue and drowsiness. I try a lot to keep myself grounded when it comes to not stressing because I know it effects my body negatively. This would be a great subject to bring up to my doctor. 

ReplyQuote
(@gabriellemrasiectskin-com)

@marlimartiniectskin-com I agree that it is very unfortunate that there are no tests that can be run for this specific health condition. I think it is much more common that a lot of people think. We have a mental health crisis in America and I think with the past year all of the craziness going on with covid and all the deaths, I really think a lot of people have actually been suffering from this due to the stress and just depression of this world. 

ReplyQuote
(@skillsbook)

@delaneyhiggonsiectskin-com It is sad that doctors do not take some things seriously because they say it isn't a real thing and there's no proof. I do believe this could be a real thing as I go through periods where I'm fine working, going to the gym, cooking dinner every night, doing other activities and then to where I'm just so exhausted the only thing I can do is go to work and come home and sleep and it usually last a week. I'm not sure if it is connected to stress, I do notice it does happen more when I'm not taking antidepressants. I think it could also just be burnout that maybe we don't notice were causing to ourselves. 

ReplyQuote
(@skillsbook)

@gabriellemrasiectskin-com I also can get like that sometimes where I sleep around 9-10 hours a night and then still take a nap for 3-4 hours the next day or napping and then sleeping that long. I've realized that when I do starting feeling that way, I know I need to step back and only do what I absolutely have to like go to work. 

ReplyQuote
(@keyonnastarksiectskin-com)

I do believe that adrenal fatigue is a real condition. Although it may not be scientifically proven that it is real, the symptoms that are presented due to adrenal fatigue such as chronic fatigue, lack of energy, and craving salty foods are indeed real symptoms that a person can be experiencing. Even though most doctors say this condition is not real, it should be treated as any other condition a person might have and should not be overlooked.

ReplyQuote
(@keyonnastarksiectskin-com)

@marlimartiniectskin-com I have also had a traumatic loss in my family a couple of years ago and I was experiencing symptoms of adrenal fatigue for a couple of months. I told my mom about it and she noticed it as well, but we both just went about our day after that conversation. I wish I knew about adrenal fatigue during that time because I would've looked more into it.

ReplyQuote
(@tristasensemaniectskin-com)

I havent heard much about this, but i know a lot of people believe that it is not real! I don't know enough to form a final opinion, but the article does say there is no science to back it up!? I find is so interesting that people with related symptoms also crave salty foods! 

ReplyQuote

@delaneyhiggonsiectskin-com I agree, especially about blindly suggesting vitamins to help with something they cant be sure about!! To me, that is insane. I also agree with hoping that more doctors would take this seriously to figure it out or to prove this to be true or untrue, but on the other hand.. I havent done enough research to know how many doctors have tried to prove this to be true/untrue. 

ReplyQuote

@keyonnastarksiectskin-com I certainly  agree that all the symptoms are real and should be acknowledged and addressed, but I dont necessarily agree that the real symptoms are due to adrenal fatigue. These same symptoms that some experience can certainly be from something else, like depression, poor diet, stress and much more. 

ReplyQuote
Share:
error: Content is protected !!