5 Mistakes Every Spring

32 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@deborahwatersiectskin-com)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Skin doctor reveals the 5 deadly mistakes you’re making every spring

Spring has sprung and with it comes gorgeous rays of sunshine.

That usually means more time outdoors and extra sun exposure which can be harmful to your skin.

With that in mind, a skin doctor has revealed the mistakes you’re making that could end up proving deadly.

Dr. Ross Perry of skin clinics chain Cosmedics said the problem with heat waves in the spring, is that most people don’t prepare their skin like they do in the summer.

He told The Sun: “The sun in April is as strong as it is in August, so you must treat it as such.” 

“People can often be fooled by the cooler breeze but the UV rays are just as strong and just as likely to cause sunburn and sun damage.”

The sun’s rays are more often than not the direct cause of skin cancer, which generally fall under non-melanoma and melanoma. 

Exposure to ultraviolet light, whether that be from the sun or sunbeds, can lead to skin cancer.

The safer you are in the sun, the lower your risk of the deadly disease.

Here, Dr. Ross warns of the mistakes you could be making when enjoying spring heatwaves:

1. Not wearing suncream

Dr. Ross said: “There are often a lot of questions as to whether people should wear sunblock on their faces all year round, the simple answer is yes! 

“An SPF should definitely be used during spring months and indeed all the year round. 

“Many people don’t believe you can get sunburnt in early spring months like March, however this is simply not the case and puts you in dangerous territory.”

Even if you don’t suffer sunburn in the spring months, the sun’s rays constantly contribute to the ageing of your skin, which you cannot immediately see.

But over the years, failing to wear suncream speeds up wrinkling, sagging and age spots.

Dr. Ross said: “Our faces are the area most prone to ageing, as well as sun damage due to the fact they are constantly exposed to UV sunlight.”

He advised a factor 30 suncream during the winter, when 90 per cent of UV rays still penetrate the clouds. 

But during the spring and summer months a factor 50 would be more advisable “particularly if you are fair skinned”.

Apply sunblock 15 minutes before going out into high intensity sunlight. 

“If you are regularly applying sunscreen every 2-3 hours then hopefully that will allow you to expose your skin to the all day sun,” Dr. Ross said.

“However, it would be advisable that between the hours of 11am and 2pm to be under an umbrella as this intensity of sunlight is almost certainly able to penetrate the sunscreen.”

2. Failing to protect burnt skin

If you do notice your skin has burned, act straight away to treat it.

Dr. Ross said: “The most important thing is once you realise you are burnt or getting burnt, take it out of the sun immediately. 

“And then the best thing to do is apply moisturising lotions such as Aloe Vera or other soothing aftersun lotions and to apply this every 2 hours. 

“It is also important to treat the sunburn with a cold flannel after the initial few hours after the burn.

“Once it has got past 4- 6 hours then carry on applying regular moisturising creams. You could also take anti-inflammatories such as ibuprofen if it stings. 

“But prevention is always better than cure.”

Getting sunburnt just once every two years can triple your risk of melanoma, says Cancer Research UK.

Dr. Ross said: “Darker skin types have less of a reaction to stronger sun light or sunlight in general, however contrary to popular belief, darker skin types can still get sunburnt.”

3. Not drinking enough water

Dr. Ross said a heatwave in March or April “can be a shock to the system and skin”.

He said: “People may underestimate the amount of water they should be drinking, as it is unlike a sweltering hot summer’s day.

“Many people will suddenly move outside to do their exercising following months of being indoors, without thinking they might need sun protection or more water on hand.”

Drinking plenty of water in hot temperatures is essential to avoid heat stroke, which can be life-threatening, especially in the elderly, children and people with health conditions.

4. Not taking moles seriously 

Skin cancers can be detected early thanks to changes in moles, or new ones.

But sadly thousands still die every year in the UK. The earlier you act, the earlier you can get treatment.

Dr. Ross said there are some key factors to look out for when it comes to moles.

“If you have a mole that is bleeding then it is almost certainly not normal unless you have merely caught it or it has been rubbing (such as on a bra strap),” he said.

“Most moles do not spontaneously bleed so it is important to get this checked out by visiting your doctor. 

“Other things such as changes in size and shape and color are important signs of potential skin cancer. 

“And if you have a mole that is changing more than other moles then this would be important to get checked out.”

5. Seeking vitamin D

Dr. Ross said people may refuse suncream in search of some vitamin D – which comes from the sunlight and is strongest between March and September. 

Doctors hammers home the importance of getting enough of the stuff for bone, teeth and muscle health. It also keeps the skin healthy and the immune system primed.

Once we emerge from the dark winter months, vitamin D is in abundance.

With some exceptions, you likely don’t need to go out of your way to seek it.

The NHS says: “From about late March/early April to the end of September, the majority of people should be able to make all the vitamin D they need from sunlight on their skin.

“Some people will not make enough vitamin D from sunlight because they have very little or no sunshine exposure.”

Adults and children over four should take a daily supplement containing 10 micrograms of vitamin D throughout the year if they are not outdoors often, for example are in a care home, and usually wear clothes that cover their skin.

People with darker skin may also want to consider a 10 microgram supplement because their skin is less likely to make enough vitamin D from sunlight. 

Dr. Ross said: “Regular exposure of your arms and legs during regular exercise two to three times a week will be more than sufficient to accumulate enough vitamin D.”

This story originally appeared on The Sun and was reproduced here with permission.

(@camiryndavisiectskin-com)

I can see how people make the mistake of not wearing sunscreen in the spring many people believe that sunscreen is only suppose to be used in the summer and as for moles people believe that its harmless because it been on their body for years.

ReplyQuote
(@cameranriddleiectskin-com)

I didnt wear sunscreen as often in the spring because it was still a little chilly. It so important now that i realize all the the harmful thins the sun can do.

ReplyQuote
(@cameranriddleiectskin-com)

@camiryndavisiectskin-com Moles definetly need to be checked out because there could be something you dont know about it.

ReplyQuote
(@keyonnastarksiectskin-com)

Before enrolling in esthetician school, I did not wear sunscreen daily. I've always heard people say "wear sunscreen everyday" "sunscreen is important" but I never listened. Now that I know what the sun can do to your skin I wear it everyday (or at least try to). It should be worn all year round, not just on sunny or hot days.

ReplyQuote
Member Admin
Topic starter  

@keyonnastarksiectskin-com 

I like you di not wear sunscreen until I enrolled in school and found out how the UV rays damage the skin. I was already 43 and had many bad sunburns in the past. Now I am having the damage surface the skin and Im trying to correct it. Its hard to correct and keep it gone. 

ReplyQuote
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I was very low on Vitamin D in 2010. I was not outside and was under a great deal of stress. I had to take prescription Vitamin D for quite a long time. My Dr told me I would need to take it O/C for the rest of my life. I take 4000IU's a day. I do not sit out anymore in the sun on purpose. Those days are gone. When I do sit out it's with sunscreen and mostly shady if I can. 

ReplyQuote
Member Admin
Topic starter  

@cameranriddleiectskin-com 

I have seen moles that I would question and client's asked me all the time what it was. Good or bad? Since I can not diagnose I tell them to show it to their Dr and they can send them to get it checked. It is becoming common to see very young people with cancers and I read that melanoma is increasing in young ages every year

ReplyQuote
Member Admin
Topic starter  

@camiryndavisiectskin-com 

In the spring I would lay out with baby oil and try to get a head start on my tan. Sometimes my family would go to Florida in April. I would get terrible burns and suffer. But after I got back it would be tan and I just would lay out to stay tan. Very little was said about using sunscreen then

ReplyQuote
(@madisonmauldiniectskin-com)

I never really wore sunscreen until this past year since I found out how much damage the sun can actually cause even if you don't get sun burnt. I am out in the sun a lot during the spring and summer so I will have to be more aware to put it on my arms and legs rather than just my face as I do burn pretty easily. 

ReplyQuote

@camiryndavisiectskin-com I have moles on my body and you're right I never really think about them because they have been there for so long. I eventually will need to start getting them checked.

ReplyQuote

@keyonnastarksiectskin-com I never listened to anyone either about applying sunscreen and now I have developed freckles everywhere. I am a lot more cautious now that I actually know what the sun can do to your skin.

ReplyQuote
(@camrynauxtiectskin-com)

I personally started wearing sunscreen everyday probably around 3 years ago. I never thought about the amount of UV your skin is exposed to throughout the day, especially when driving. I think that sunscreen should be worn during the day no matter what season it is. I am also an avid water drinker, but sometimes I still realize dehydration in my skin. 

ReplyQuote

@madisonmauldiniectskin-com my grandma, mom, and I all have the same skin. My grandma had so many sun marks and my mom and I are starting to notice very small ones on ourselves. I try to wear sunscreen as much as possible especially when I'm directly in the sun for an extended amount of time.

ReplyQuote

@deborahwatersiectskin-com my grandmother was the same way, her and my grandpa took a lot of trips to Hawaii and she would use baby oil and be super tan but when she got older, she had really bad hyperpigmentation and sun spots.

ReplyQuote
(@emmamidgettiectskin-com)

I didn't wear sunscreen but now that I'm in esthetician school I wear sunscreen all the time. I do live at the beach so I think it is very important to be wearing sunscreen especially during the summer. 

ReplyQuote

@camiryndavisiectskin-com I don't think moles are not harmless. I am covered in moles all over my body that I would like to get checked, that maybe dangerous to my body.

ReplyQuote

@keyonnastarksiectskin-com I was the same I didn't think sunscreen was that important until I learned through school how dangerous it is for your health all around.

ReplyQuote
(@karyssamarleriectskin-com)

Many people forget to wear sunscreen when theyre out in the sun and this affects the skin especially when not treated. It can also cause the skin to age prematurally. 

ReplyQuote

@camrynauxtiectskin-com Me too, my grandma never wore sunscreen and I still don't think she does. But her skin is very dark and she has many wrinkles and age spots.

ReplyQuote

@cameranriddleiectskin-com My dad has worked in the sun since he is a painting contractor for decades now, and does not often protect his skin, he noticed an abnormal mole a couple years ago and it was cancerous.

ReplyQuote
(@olgacoloniectskin-com)

I can see how people do it and don't think about it too much.  We all want to get a little bit of the sun in the spring because those of us in cooler weather most likely haven't felt the warmth of the sun in months, but where we make the mistake is when we don't protect our skin thinking it will be fine because we've been in the cold for so long.

ReplyQuote
(@olgacoloniectskin-com)

@karyssamarleriectskin-com This is a common occurrence with many people but specially men.  They hate using sunscreen because they don't think it will ever happen to them or if it does and they remove it on time, they think it will never happen again when it should be a wake up call.

ReplyQuote
(@olgacoloniectskin-com)

@emmamidgettiectskin-com I have a darker complexion and when I was younger I always used moisturizer but never even considered sunscreen.  It wasn't until years later that I got a facial and the esthetician asked me what sunscreen I used.  I was confused because I thought to myself, why would I use sunscreen? I'm dark.  She explained the risks even for darker complexions.

ReplyQuote
(@alexisdozieriectskin-com)

I defiantly do not think about wearing sunscreen in the spring because its colder outside or not scorching hot but I have learned that wearing sunscreen year round is extremely important so this spring I will be wearing it more often as I have been everyday.

ReplyQuote

@olgacoloniectskin-com It's defiantly an easy thing to forget about.

ReplyQuote

@madisonmauldiniectskin-com I started using sunscreen daily once I started school and learned about how much damage it does to your skin especially because I am fair skinned.

ReplyQuote
(@rebeccamatuskaiectskin-com)

I used to not wear sunscreen until the summer- I've been wearing sunscreen almost everyday now. the sun is always out and UV rays are always there. 

ReplyQuote
(@rebeccamatuskaiectskin-com)

@alexisdozieriectskin-com Yaaayyyyy!!! PRoud of you!

ReplyQuote
(@brianahetlandiectskin-com)

since the weather is not super hot in the spring I use to feel like sunscreen wasn't a priority. I used to be one to not ever wear sunscreen and my water intake used to not be the best either. now that I am good with both I can definitely see a difference in how no matter the season they are both very beneficial to skincare routine. 

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:
error: Content is protected !!